Re: per group value of gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function?

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: per group value of gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:37:49 +0300

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 07:52:14 -0500, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:48:29 +0300 Giorgos Keramidas
> <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> GK> What is the recommended way of getting different thread gathering
> GK> logic for some of the groups?
>
> I don't know if there's a standard way; I do it in the summary entry
> hook based on the newsgroup name.

Thank you Ted,

That sounds like a good idea.

I thought adding this to the group parameters was a nice way of making
it work, but maybe it's worth trying to patch Gnus and add some sort of
wrapper function that dispatches on the group name, i.e.:

  (setq-default gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function
                'keramida-gnus-gather-threads)

Then I could add regexp matches to one or two new variables like:

  (defvar keramida-gnus-thread-function-by-group-map
    '(("mail\\.foo\\.bar" . gnus-gather-threads-by-subject)
      ("mail\\..*" . gnus-gather-threads-by-references)
      (t . gnus-gather-threads-by-references))
    "List of (regexp . function) pairs to select a thread-gathering function.")

Then with `gnus-summary-exit-hook' I can restore the thread gathering
function to a `default' value.  I think I'll give this a try.  If it
seems to work nicely, I will post what I wrote here when I've tested it
a bit.