Re: per group value of gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function?

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: per group value of gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:25:47 +0300

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:21:05 -0500, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:37:49 +0300 Giorgos Keramidas
> <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> GK> Then with `gnus-summary-exit-hook' I can restore the thread
> GK> gathering function to a `default' value.  I think I'll give this a
> GK> try.  If it seems to work nicely, I will post what I wrote here
> GK> when I've tested it a bit.
>
> I think what you and others want is to modify gnus-posting-styles so it
> allows a symbol instead of just a static definition.  In other words,
> instead of
>
> ((".*"
>   (signature-file "~/.signature")
>   (name "Ted Zlatanov")
>   (organization "Теодор Златанов @ Cienfuegos")))
>
> it could be
>
> ((".*"
>   ('gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function 'gnus-gather-threads-by-references)
>   (signature-file "~/.signature")
>   (name "Ted Zlatanov")
>   (organization "Теодор Златанов @ Cienfuegos")))
>
> Am I understanding you correctly?  I don't know how hard this change
> is, if it's the right thing.

That could probably work too :)

I am not sure if it's the Right Thing, so I'll keep using the custom
thread-gathering function for now, unless some more experienced Gnus
user or developer wants to chime in with a more appropriate way of
achieving the same.

It was pretty easy to write the custom thread-gathering function.  I am
not sure I know enough about the internals of Gnus to modify the posting
style parsing code though :(