any way to get more detailed output of what is happening with imap?

From: Ed
Subject: any way to get more detailed output of what is happening with imap?
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 06:00:28 -0700 (PDT)

Howdy all!

I'm using 22.2.1 with gnus 5.11.

Is there any way to get more output on what is going on with GNUS?

I recently had to switch to an IMAP server using ssl and my sysadmin
tells me that I am logging into the IMAP server successfully. But my
groups buffer just shows asteriks instead of numbers of messages:

       *: nnml+private:crazy
       *: nnml+private:junk
       *: nnml+private:returned
       *: nnml+private:support
       *: nnml+private:autotools
       *: nnml+private:private

My *Messages* buffer has this to say:

imap: Opening SSL connection with `/usr/bin/openssl s_client -ssl3 -
CAfile ...
Waiting for response from mail...done
Parsing authinfo file `~/.authinfo'.
imap: Plaintext authentication...
Opening nnimap server on mail...done
Reading active file from mail via nnimap...
nnimap: Checking mailboxes...done
Checking new news...done
No gnus is bad news

But I know there are new email messages waiting for me somewhere.

I discovered that I could add one nnimap group:
   23733: nnimap+mail:Mail/other

This looked hopeful, and contains every email message that was sorted
into my "other" group since I last messed with GNUS 5 years ago!

So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do, but thought there might be
some more output available somehow from the interaction with the IMAP
server which might give me a clue...

Thanks!

Ed