Re: Connection fails

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Connection fails
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:40:48 -0500

On 26 Aug 2009 11:08:40 -0500 reingold@emr.cs.iit.edu (Edward M. Reingold)
wrote:

TZ> Looks to me like you need to test nntp-ssl-program:

TZ> nntp-ssl-program is a variable defined in `nntp.el'.  Its value is
TZ> "openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p"

EMR> Thanks!  I get the following gobbly-gook that I do not understand:

EMR> /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect
news.cs.illinois.edu:563
EMR> depth=1 /C=ZA/ST=Western Cape/L=Cape Town/O=Thawte Consulting
cc/OU=Certification Services Division/CN=Thawte Premium Server
CA/emailAddress=premium-server@thawte.com
EMR> verify error:num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain
EMR> verify return:0
EMR> 200 dcs-news1.cs.illinois.edu InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.0 ready (no
posting)

EMR> What does this mean?  How do I fix it?

It looks like the connection works.  The last line is a NNTP data line.
Now try the same command from inside Gnus, see the nntp-open-connection
function.  I don't have access to this server so I can't check what's
blocking you, you'll have to do a bit of debugging.  Basically use
(debug "step X") statements in the code to see where it blocks.

Ted