How to pass a space character as an argument to a function already quote

From: Benjamin L. Russell
Subject: How to pass a space character as an argument to a function already quoted as an argument to another function?
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 22:25:14 +0900

After much trial and error, I eventually narrowed down the errors
related to sending mail via SMTP in Gnus to the following error:

> Sending via mail...
> message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed to ssmtp: recipients with
> -t option not supported;

After performing a search using Google using the search phrase
"+"mailer-app-args"", I discovered the related page "[#FSCORE-158]
mailer-app-args assumes "-t" if set to a blank string "" - FreeSWITCH
Jira" (see
http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/FSCORE-158;jsessionid=5E61B29048C44E4C670D5297069CE0CE?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Aworklog-tabpanel),
with the following apparently relevant information:

> Description           ≪ Hide
> FreeSwitch Version 1.0.trunk (9029)

> if mailer-app-args=""
> then the following errors appear:
> sendmail: recipients with -t option not supported ~ /bin/cat: write error:
> Broken pipe

> if mailer-app-args=" " then it works fine

Accordingly, modified I my .gnus.el file as follows:

> (setq mailer-app-args " ")

> (require 'smtpmail)

However, this change had no effect.

Does anybody know how to pass " " (a space string) as an argument to
"mailer-app-args" for "message-send-with-sendmail"?

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^