Re: How to pass a space character as an argument to a function already q

From: Benjamin L. Russell
Subject: Re: How to pass a space character as an argument to a function already quoted as an argument to another function?
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:28:51 +0900

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:11:55 +0900 DekuDekuplex@Yahoo.com (Benjamin L.
> Russell) wrote:
>
> BLR> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>>> On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 22:25:14 +0900 DekuDekuplex@Yahoo.com (Benjamin L.
>>> Russell) wrote:
>>>
> BLR> Does anybody know how to pass " " (a space string) as an argument to
> BLR> "mailer-app-args" for "message-send-with-sendmail"?
>>>
>>> Just a stab in the dark: have you tried "' '"?
>
> BLR> Where should it be specified, though?
>
> Looking at your question, I am not sure where to start.  What are
> mailer-app and mailer-app-args?  I don't see anything like that in the
> Gnus source code.  message.el uses different function and variable names
> for what you describe.  Sorry to be dense.  Are you using a specific,
> maybe older, version of Gnus?

No; before I switched back to "Gnus/5.11 (Gnus v5.11) Emacs/22.3
(windows-nt)," I was using the updated "Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/23.1
(windows-nt)" (which I could not get to work correctly in sending e-mail
messages via SMTP with GnuTLS enabled).

As for "mailer-app" and "mailer-app-args," I'm not sure what they are,
either; all that I know is that one of the error messages that
/usr/sbin/ssmtp.exe in "Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/23.1 (windows-nt)"
returned when trying to send an e-mail message via SMTP was the
following:

> Sending via mail...
> message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed to ssmtp: recipients with
> -t option not supported;

Accordingly, when I searched with Google using the search phrase
"+"mailer-app-args"", I discovered the related page "[#FSCORE-158]
mailer-app-args assumes "-t" if set to a blank string "" - FreeSWITCH
Jira" (see
http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/FSCORE-158;jsessionid=5E61B29048C44E4C670D5297069CE0CE?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Aworklog-tabpanel),
with the following apparently relevant information:

> Description           ≪ Hide
> FreeSwitch Version 1.0.trunk (9029)

> if mailer-app-args=""
> then the following errors appear:
> sendmail: recipients with -t option not supported ~ /bin/cat: write error:
> Broken pipe

> if mailer-app-args=" " then it works fine

Other than passing a space character as "mailer-app-args" to ssmtp.exe,
I am not aware of how to resolve the above-mentioned error message
without changing either my Gnus version or my mailer application.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^