Re: SMPT no longer works in Starttls upon upgrading from emacs-22.3-bin-

From: Marco Maggi
Subject: Re: SMPT no longer works in Starttls upon upgrading from emacs-22.3-bin-i386 to emacs-23.1-bin-i386 on Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3.
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 12:44:00 +0200

"Benjamin L. Russell" wrote:
> When  I  renamed  C:\bin\emacs-23.1 to  C:\bin\emacs,  the
> previous error  message went away, only to  be replaced by
> the following error message:
> [...]
> Any ideas?

I am not a Windows user,  I cannot help with that, but first
I  would   make  sure  that  you  can   send  email  through
gnutls-cli.   Can you  try  it in  an  "M-x eshell"  session
following, for example, the instructions at [1]?

  We cannot  send a SIGALRM POSIX signal  under windows, but
we  can  send an  EOF  to  the  process through  the  eshell
function   "eshell-send-eof-to-process".    So,   when   the
instructions  say  "send SIGALRM  to  gnutls-cli", you  "M-x
eshell-send-eof-to-process".

  If that works we can try to debug the rest.

[1] <http://marcomaggi.github.com/docs/mbfl.html#sendmail-gnutls>
--
Marco Maggi