Re: Filtering Spam Messages With Bogofilter

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Filtering Spam Messages With Bogofilter
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 14:51:13 -0500

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 06:14:32 -0700 (PDT) Volkan YAZICI
<volkan.yazici@gmail.com> wrote:

VY> On Sep 15, 3:57 pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> Bogofilter is not set as your group's spam exit processor (according to
>> spam-group-processor-p).  Can you try using `G c' on a group and
>> explicitly set it in the group/topic parameters, then mark spam and
>> exit?  If that works, we can check what's inconsistent in your Lisp
>> configuration (it looks fine as I said, but I may have missed
>> something).  There are old-style and new-style backend specification
>> formats, which makes it even more annoying for you I'm sure.

VY> I "G c"ed into "misc" group and selected below parameters.

VY>   [X] Spam Summary Exit Processor: [Value Menu] Spam Summary Exit
VY> Processor Choices:
VY>       Set:
VY>       [ ] gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-ifile
VY>           OBSOLETE: The ifile summary exit spam processor.
VY>       [ ] gnus-group-ham-exit-processor-copy
VY>           OBSOLETE: The ham copy exit ham processor. [More]
VY>       [ ] Spam: Gmane Report
VY>       [X] Spam: Bogofilter
VY>       [ ] Spam: Blacklist
VY>       [ ] Ham: Spam Oracle
VY>   Which spam or ham processors will be applied when the summary is
VY> exited.

VY> After pressing to "[Done]" I returned back to *Group* buffer and
VY> marked an article in the "misc" group  via "S x" and closed the group
VY> buffer. Below are the related lines appeared in the *Messages* buffer.

VY>   Exiting summary buffer and applying spam rules
VY>   Registering 1  articles with classification spam, check spam-use-
VY> bogofilter
VY>   Marking spam as expired without moving
VY> it
VY>   Expiring articles...done
VY>   Quit

This is good, it means the Bogofilter backend was called for that message.

VY> But when I entered into "misc" group again, I still see the spam
VY> marked message with an "E" status (as was before). Shouldn't it be
VY> disappeared and messaged would have moved into "spam" group?

You need to set up the spam move target explicitly through `G c' again.
Give it a group name.  The default (nil) means don't move, just mark
expired.

VY> BTW, I have below configurations in my ~/.gnus.el file and "misc" is
VY> collected under "mail" topic.

VY>   (defun custom-nnmail-expiry-wait (group)
VY>     (cond ((member (gnus-group-topic group) '("mail" "personal")) 90)
VY>           (t 30)))

VY>   (setq
VY>    gnus-agent-expire-all nil
VY>    gnus-agent-expire-days 7
VY>    gnus-agent-expire-unagentized-dirs t
VY>    nnmail-expiry-wait 7
VY>    message-expires 7
VY>    nnmail-expiry-wait-function 'custom-nnmail-expiry-wait
VY>    gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups ".*")

That's all fine, it just relates to expiry and not to spam.el.

Ted