Re: Big IMAP folders

From: Andrzej Adam Filip
Subject: Re: Big IMAP folders
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:52:10 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Andrzej Adam Filip <Andrzej.Filip@gmail.com> writes:
>> a) Are you sure it is not "long scoring time"?
>>    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSpeed#toc15
>
> Since he gets the hang also when using `C-u 100 RET' to enter a group,
> this should not be the problem.
>
>> b) Have you considered using local imap folders with last few
>>    hundredths messages from the lists?
>
> A local IMAP server (and synchronizing with offlineimap) is very nice.
> But why only store the last few hundreds?  My emacs-devel group has
> about 25.000 messages, its size is about 232 MB, and Gnus handles it
> fine. :-)

How often do search *ALL* messages in the folder? :-)

I use  gmail as "permanent archive" (mainly for mailing lists) and
local copy to read "fresh" mails.
[ I do not use gmail for "personal" mail ]

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip@gmail.com
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.