Re: Big IMAP folders

From: Andrzej Adam Filip
Subject: Re: Big IMAP folders
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 20:07:53 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

>>> A local IMAP server (and synchronizing with offlineimap) is very
>>> nice.  But why only store the last few hundreds?  My emacs-devel
>>> group has about 25.000 messages, its size is about 232 MB, and Gnus
>>> handles it fine. :-)
>>
>> How often do search *ALL* messages in the folder? :-)
>
> Very frequently.  My local imap server (Dovecot) does full text indexing
> on the fly, so searches are very fast.  Of course, if the imap server
> would search by grepping, large groups would be bad in that respect.

Whenever I open 1_000+ messages IMAP folder ("server-less" dovecot) gnus
does full scoring and it takes a few seconds.

After reading your "testimony" I tend to believe it may be
"under optimalisation" of my configuration.

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip@gmail.com
"Little prigs and three-quarter madmen may have the conceit that the laws of