Re: Article Tagging a la OrgMode

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Article Tagging a la OrgMode
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:41:44 -0600

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:30:02 +0100 Vagn Johansen <gonz808@hotmail.com> wrote:

VJ> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> The registry will let you assign labels to articles and display them.
>> These labels have any name and you can associate a visual mark with the
>> article, too.

VJ> Looking at the interactive functions in gnus-registry.el I do not see
VJ> how to accomplish this.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 01:09:17 -0800 (PST) Volkan YAZICI
<volkan.yazici@gmail.com> wrote:

VY> I think you refer to gnus-registry.el file. I found it in the gnus
VY> sources but nor googling, neither reading the sources provided any
VY> useful documentation. (I still couldn't grasp totally what gnus-
VY> registry does.) Would you mind eloborating the steps you mentioned
VY> above a little bit please?

Sorry that it wasn't clear.  I put comments in the variable definitions
in the code.  You just need a recent Gnus checkout from CVS.  Customize
gnus-registry-marks as you like.  You must reload gnus-registry.el
because it creates functions based on what marks you define, or run
gnus-registry-install-shortcuts manually.

Then use gnus-registry-mark-article to set the mark.  It will do
completion so you can select which mark you want.  You can also use the
menu to select a specific mark or the corresponding function that looks
like gnus-registry-set-article-Important-mark (there's a corresponding
gnus-registry-remove-article-Important-mark).

The registry is a general hashtable that can store the following
associated with a message ID:

- the group(s) where it's been seen (updated on copy/move/delete), this
  is not reliable because you can limit the total registry size

- any extra information, always reliable: it's never expunged even if
  the size of the registry is limited

- extra marks (stored in the extra information): any number of symbols
  stored in a list to represent the desired article marks

Also note you can use

(defalias 'gnus-user-format-function-M
          'gnus-registry-user-format-function-M)

and then %uM in your summary format line to show the registry marks
automatically.

>> There is no functionality yet to filter based on these tags but it
>> should not be hard to implement.

VY> Any clues for the initial speed?

Getting the registry marks requires a hashtable lookup and then a short
alist walk to get the marks, so I'd expect it to be fast.

Ted