Re: gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable

From: harven
Subject: Re: gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:54:52 +0100

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> At the moment I use 'E' (gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable) to expire an
> article. I understood that after a certain number of days articles that
> are set to expire will be deleted. But I can not find anything about
> this. Does anyone has some pointers for me?

>From the tutorial http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusTutorial

Gnus offers you the E key. This marks a message as expirable. No mail
is ever deleted from disk, unless it is expirable. Every once in a
while (by default, whenever you quit a group by hitting q in the
Summary buffer), the expiry process is run, which goes through all
expirable messages (of a group) and expires it if old enough. By
default, messages older than seven days are old enough. Seven days,
that is, since it was marked as expirable.

``But when I read a message, exit the group, then enter it again, the
message is gone!

Right. By default, Gnus hides messages which have already been read.
If you are the keyboard type, you can hit C-u <RET> or C-u <SPC> to
enter the group or C-u M-g when in the group to look at the read
messages.

Hope that helps