Re: About gnus cache files

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: About gnus cache files
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:23:20 -0600

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:05:52 +0800 Water Lin <WaterLin@ymail.invalid> wrote:

WL> I am using Gnus and it is really good for newsgroup and mailing list
WL> reading. But I am still confused of the files and folders created by
WL> Gnus under my ~/Mail folder.

WL> There is a folder named "bogus" in my ~/Mail. What's the function of
WL> this folder?

WL> I think I forget to use a ("other" "") pattern in my variable
WL> nnmail-split-methods. I think it is the reason why "bogus" folder
WL> exists. So can I read the mails under "bogus" again?

The presence of the "bogus" folder indicates that your splitting rules
were bad and Gnus, rather than throwing your message away, put it in
there.

WL> The second question is that what is the meaning of files named like
WL> "Incoming2309OYv" under ~/Mail . I have about 40 files whose name is
WL> like IncomingXXXXXX.

WL> I want to understand these meanings so I can back my Gnus files to
WL> another machine.

You don't need those files, usually, unless there's a fatal error in
Gnus and you lose mail.  This is much more likely with CVS Gnus
checkouts so it's enabled there, while it's disabled for release
versions of Gnus.  The manual has more details in
http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_180.html

Ted