Re: Play sound on new mail

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: Play sound on new mail
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:01:12 -0800

Joe Galaxy <see@my.sig.invalid> writes:

> On mer 10 feb 2010 18:26, Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://gnubiff.sourceforge.net/
> I'll give a try.
>
>> Since you probably manually tell gnus to fetch mail it doesnt seem
>> appropriate that it beeps when it gets mail since you will see it anyway
>> in the Group buffer.
> I've a daemon:
> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-get-new-news 5 nil)

It looks like that runs gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook, so you could
do something with that. I didn't see (looking only quickly) whether
there is a value passed to it based on new news or not though.

Also remember that Emacs has its own "biff" functionality with
display-time-mode, so you might be able to hook into that.

--
John Sullivan
Emacs Planner Maintainer