rss shimbuns

From: Nigel Beck
Subject: rss shimbuns
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:37:09 -0500

I've been experimenting with the generic shimbun reader for rss and have
it mostly working, but a few things puzzle me:

1) Changing shimbun-rss-blogs-group-url-regexp requires a complete emacs
shutdown and restart to be recognized.  Even a gnus restart within emacs
doesn't work.  This seems like a bit of an onerous requirement to add a
new blog

2) Similar to #1 - if a name has ever been used - eg "Nigels Blog" - it
seems to "stick" even after total reset and can never be used again.
This means that if I give the wrong url (typo, stupidity, whatever) for
a blog, I need to rename it the next time.

3) How *does* one deal with atom feeds?  I've seen the stuff here
http://www.randomsample.de/dru5/node/8 for converting an atom feed to
rss, but I'm not clear on how/whether that plays nicely with the
nnshimbun rss-blogs facility.

Any advice/pointers would be welcome!
--
Nigel Beck