mails marked as read automatically after G z

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: mails marked as read automatically after G z
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 16:52:49 +0530

On the mailing lists that I subscribe to, I did a G z to compress the
article numbers with G z on nnml groups and now all mail that comes in
are automatically marked as read in those groups.

nnml: Reading incoming mail from pop...
Opening TLS connection to `pop.gmail.com'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli -p 995 pop.gmail.com'...done
Opening TLS connection to `pop.gmail.com'...done
Retrieving message 1 of 1 from pop.gmail.com... (11.5k)
Wrote c:/Documents and Settings/sivaram/Application Data/Mail/mail/misc/25
nnml: Reading incoming mail (1 new)...done
Reading active file via nnml...done

After the above messages, the mail was automatically marked as read.
Any idea how to fix this?  I'm on cvs Gnus.

 sivaram