Re: Not quoting the email address in news/mailing lists followups

From: Daniel Pittman
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 12:50:58 +1000

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> How do I configure the news/mailing lists followups and replies to not
>>> quote the reply to address?
>>
>>     C-h v message-citation-line-function <RET>
>>     C-h v message-citation-line-format   <RET>
>>
>> You get to write your own function to mangle the email address as you prefer,
>> or adjust the formatting preferences.  The later will allow you to omit the
>> address entirely, though, without having to do more custom work.
>>
> I changed it to
>
> (setq message-citation-line-format "On %a, %b %d %Y,%F %L wrote:\n")
>
> is what I eval'ed and it doesn't seem to have changed the citation to
> remove your email address.
>
> What gives?

Ah, nice.  The documentation is obscure; from the changelog in Gnus info:

  * The option `message-citation-line-format' controls the format
    of the "Whomever writes:" line.  You need to set
    `message-citation-line-function' to
    `message-insert-formatted-citation-line' as well.

The default is not clearly spelled out, and could probably do with an explicit
copy of that information in the help for `message-citation-line-format'.

        Daniel

I didn't notice that I have customized that variable some time back, either,
so the default doesn't match my running system. :)
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707