Group parameters

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Group parameters
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 05:02:20 +0000 (UTC)

I have Gnus installed on 2 computers ("desktop" and "laptop").  I would
like my groups to have exactly the same parameters in both cases.  It
doesn't have to be completely automatic, but not completely manual,
either; that is, I want to avoid doing G c on each group on each
computer and entering the same things.  The shape of the solution I have
in mind is that after customizing a group on one computer I execute a
magic command foo (inside Emacs or otherwise) and the changes propagate
to the other.  (This is how I handle many other situations, with foo ==
unison).

However, the way Gnus saves the group parameters unfortunately doesn't
easily allow such solution: it saves them into the newsrc.eld file along
with, and interspersed with, other data that is clearly instance
specific, so I cannot just sync the whole file.  I guess I could use the
gnus-parameters variable and read it from a different file, maybe
.emacs.  But that still has 2 big disadvantages: 1. I am condemned to
use plain Lisp to set the parameters instead of Customize, and 2. I
cannot see a way to export the parameters I have already accumulated so I
would have to start by translating them manually (for each group).

Presumably 2 can be solved with some personal Lisp code, but 1 would
remain.  Does anyone have a helpful idea?