Re: Group parameters

From: William Gardella
Subject: Re: Group parameters
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 10:21:46 -0400

Hello all,

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:

> If you're planning on being subscribed to the same groups on both
> machines, why not take a backup and just try it out?
>
> For me it has worked fairly well. I'm probably syncing some stuff I
> shouldn't be syncing (I still don't really know what goes into
> ~/.newsrc{,.eld}), but I think the most serious problems I've had so far
> is occasionally having to mark things as read that I'm sure I already
> marked as read on the other computer.

I think Kevin's proposed solution should be pretty safe.  ~/.newsrc.eld
contains mostly stuff that you probably want to sync anyway, like saving
your place (which articles are read) in groups that you read, cached
information of active files on news servers, etc.  For maximum
parallelism between the two instances, you'd probably also want to sync
the ~/News directory, as this is where the Gnus agent, article cache,
marks and saved articles for most groups go.

Unison or some other kind of synchronization run while Gnus is not
running should be fine, but there is even a safe way to do this if you
are using some kind of live sync (like DropBox or SparkleShare or
something) while Gnus is still running.  See (info "(gnus) Slave
Gnusae"); initialized as a slave, the local Gnus will act like there is
another Gnus using the ~/newsrc* files and try to avoid breaking them,
making its own temp newsrcs instead.

-WGG

--
I use grml (http://grml.org/)