Re: gnus & auto-fill-mode

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: gnus & auto-fill-mode
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 10:29:38 +0100

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

>> So probably the problem is somewhere else.  May we have a look at
>> "your own text mode".
>
> yah, of course.
>
> (define-derived-mode my-text-mode
>   text-mode "Text"
>   "Modified text-mode, includes longlines-mode and flyspell-mode"
>   (visual-line-mode 1)
>   (flyspell-mode 1)
>   (load "modeline.el")
>   (dolist (hook '(text-mode-hook))
>     (add-hook hook (lambda()
>                    (setq mode-line-types (vector "words" "chars"))))))

And I guess you have an entry ("\\.te?xt\\'" . my-text-mode) in
`auto-mode-alist', right?

Anyway, I don't see how that could enable `auto-fill-mode' globally.
The only way to enable auto-filling globally seems to be

  (setq-default auto-fill-function 'do-auto-fill)

and I guess you're not doing that, right?

Hm, another idea: Is `auto-fill-mode' *really* enabled, or is it just
that there's a Fill in the mode-line?  The latter could be a problem
with the modeline.el you're loading.

To check if `auto-fill-mode' is really enabled in a buffer, do:

,----[ C-h k C-h m ]
| C-h m runs the command describe-mode, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
| function in `help.el'.
|
| It is bound to C-c ?, C-h m, <f1> m, <help> m, <menu-bar> <help-menu>
| <describe> <describe-mode>.
|
| (describe-mode &optional BUFFER)
|
| Display documentation of current major mode and minor modes.
| A brief summary of the minor modes comes first, followed by the
| major mode description.  This is followed by detailed
| descriptions of the minor modes, each on a separate page.
|
| For this to work correctly for a minor mode, the mode's indicator
| variable (listed in `minor-mode-alist') must also be a function
| whose documentation describes the minor mode.
|
| If called from Lisp with a non-nil BUFFER argument, display
| documentation for the major and minor modes of that buffer.
`----

At the top of the *Help* buffer, it'll enumerate all enabled minor
modes.

Bye,
Tassilo