Re: gnus & auto-fill-mode

From: Gijs Hillenius
Subject: Re: gnus & auto-fill-mode
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:03:37 +0100

[...]

> And I guess you have an entry ("\\.te?xt\\'" . my-text-mode) in
> `auto-mode-alist', right?

yes, using:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.txt\\'" . my-text-mode))

Which makes me wonder, is there a 'real' .txt mode?

> Anyway, I don't see how that could enable `auto-fill-mode' globally.
> The only way to enable auto-filling globally seems to be
>
> (setq-default auto-fill-function 'do-auto-fill)
>
> and I guess you're not doing that, right?

The only reference to auto-fill in .emacs is ;; commented out.

> Hm, another idea: Is `auto-fill-mode' *really* enabled, or is it just
> that there's a Fill in the mode-line?

For one of the txt buffers newly opened: C-h m responds with

Enabled minor modes: Auto-Composition Auto-Compression Auto-Encryption
Auto-Fill Blink-Cursor Display-Time File-Name-Shadow Flyspell
Font-Lock Global-Font-Lock Line-Number Menu-Bar Mouse-Wheel Recentf
Shell-Dirtrack Tooltip Transient-Mark Visual-Line

--
Many pages make a thick book, except for pocket Bibles which are on very
very thin paper.