Re: Web browser-style tabs in Emacs?

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: Web browser-style tabs in Emacs?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 23:35:25 +0000

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Pennebaker <andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd prefer to use Web browser-style tabs, pressing C-TAB and
> C-Shift-TAB to navigate left and right. Which packages would you
> recommend for this?

You might like the `elscreen' package, with key bindings configured
appropriately.  A simpler solution not involving any external packages
might be to bind next-buffer and previous-buffer:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-TAB") 'next-buffer)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-S-iso-lefttab") 'previous-buffer)

However, two caveats about both of these solutions:

1) S-TAB cannot be bound on a TTY console or a [standard] terminal
   emulator, only in a GUI, due to historical console limitations;

2) Since you posted this in a Gnus list and not a general Emacs list, I
   assume you want tabbed viewing of articles in Gnus, like in Mozilla
   Thunderbird.  This is going to be difficult to do at all in Gnus
   because Gnus re-uses the same *Article* buffer to display successive
   articles as you read them.  If you want to keep an article open while
   continuing to read others, you can use the "Sticky Article" feature,
   (info "(gnus) Sticky Articles").

--
Regards,
WGG