Setting up gnus: read on local, store remote (but not on mailserver)

From: supermiri123
Subject: Setting up gnus: read on local, store remote (but not on mailserver)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 05:24:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi gnurus!

Since I have a new job, I need to modify my gnus setup, and don't know how.  I
have the following:

1) mail is coming from some server with limited storage space (in fact, not
enough)

2) I have enough storage space on a machine I can ssh to, but where I do not
have a reasonably recent emacs (No root rights.  Emacs version there is 21.)
However, this is in a local network (at a university), so ssh should not be too
slow.

3) My email archive (which I depend on for every day work) has just about 2GB
currently.

I would like to use my local emacs with gnus to read email, but have it stored
on the other computer, so I can always access it, even if I'm not in my office.

Is there an effective solution known, or do I have to experiment?

Many thanks,

Martin