Re: Sent message still in drafts (lisp error: "Selecting deleted buffer"

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Sent message still in drafts (lisp error: "Selecting deleted buffer")
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 18:44:59 +0900

Felix Natter <fnatter@gmx.net> wrote:
[...]
> Would it help to upgrade to GNU Emacs 24.2?

No, it doesn't.  The most recent nndraft.el is in the development
repositories, the Gnus Git master[1] and the Emacs Bzr trunk[2].
Both have not been released yet.  But you can use one of them or
both at your own risk.  Many changes were made in Gnus since Emacs
24.2 was released.  So, please note that you have to install Gnus
fully, not replacing nndraft.el only.  I think the easiest way is
to install Ma Gnus, i.e., that of the Gnus Git master.  Sorry for
this; I misunderstood that you use a development version of Gnus.

To install Ma Gnus is not so hard.  Download the repository or
a tarball[3] to somewhere and do:

・ cd gnus
・ ./configure [options]
   Run ``./configure --help'' to see the options if needed.
・ make
・ Add these snippets to your ~/.emacs file:

   (push "/Directory/Where/Gnus/Is/Installed" load-path)
   (require 'gnus-load)

   See lisp/Makefile to know the directory where the elc files
   will be installed.  That will normally be:
   /usr/local/share/emacs/24.2/site-lisp/gnus

・ su
・ make install

> On the other hand, I installed Emacs24 on another machine and it also
> reports Gnus version 5.13.

The version of Gnus bundled with Emacs is not growing for years
in spite of a lot of changes. :<

> (GNU Emacs 24.2 is in Debian unstable, that's why I'm afraid of upgrading
> to it.)

You can simply abandon Ma Gnus by:
・ rm -r site-lisp/gnus
・ remove the (require 'gnus-load) line in the ~/.emacs file.

[1] http://git.gnus.org/        ...[3]
[2] http://savannah.gnu.org/bzr/?group=emacs
[3] You can get a tar archive of the Gnus Git master from:
    http://www.jpl.org/ftp/pub/tmp/mgnus-0.6-TIMESTAMP.tar.gz