Re: defining external http viewer for GNUS

From: Rainer M. Krug
Subject: Re: defining external http viewer for GNUS
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 16:58:38 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Rainer@krugs.de (Rainer M. Krug) writes:
>
> Hi Rainer,
>
>> I would like to use an external viewer (conqueror) to view html emails
>> from time to time, but I would not like to change my emacs default
>> viewer (x-www-browser). Is there a way of defining one (conqueror in
>> my case) only for gnus?
>
> Is this what you are looking for?

Not exactly. I can open the article in an external viewer, but it is
always the external viewer as defined in emacs. I use

(setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-generic
browse-url-generic-program "x-www-browser")

to define my external browser and I only would like to be able to open
html mails in a different browser (conqueror or dillo) as this will be
uch faster them chromium which is my normal x-www-browser (and I want to
keep chromium for normal browsing).

Thanks,

Rainer

> ,----[ C-h k K H ]
> | gnus-article-browse-html-article is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> | `gnus-art.el'.
> |
> | (gnus-article-browse-html-article &optional ARG)
> |
> | View "text/html" parts of the current article with a WWW browser.
> | Inline images embedded in a message using the cid scheme, as they are
> | generally considered to be safe, will be processed properly.
> | The message header is added to the beginning of every html part unless
> | the prefix argument ARG is given.
> |
> | Warning: Spammers use links to images (using the http scheme) in HTML
> | articles to verify whether you have read the message.  As
> | `gnus-article-browse-html-article' passes the HTML content to the
> | browser without eliminating these "web bugs" you should only
> | use it for mails from trusted senders.
> |
> | If you always want to display HTML parts in the browser, set
> | `mm-text-html-renderer' to nil.
> |
> | This command creates temporary files to pass HTML contents including
> | images if any to the browser, and deletes them when exiting the group
> | (if you want).
> `----
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo