Re: Move message of a given year into new group

From: Rainer M. Krug
Subject: Re: Move message of a given year into new group
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 12:28:32 +0200

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> Rainer@krugs.de (Rainer M. Krug) writes:
>
>> So I would like to move all mails before 2011 into groups Archive.YEAR,
>> where YEAR is the year of the email.
>
> BTW, if you want to set on this method from now on, I found this while
> browsing the manual:
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Expiring Mail") ]
> |       (setq nnmail-expiry-target 'nnmail-fancy-expiry-target
> |             nnmail-fancy-expiry-targets
> |             '((to-from "boss" "nnfolder:Work")
> |               ("subject" "IMPORTANT" "nnfolder:IMPORTANT.%Y.%b")
> |               ("from" ".*" "nnfolder:Archive-%Y")))
> |
> |    With this setup, any mail that has `IMPORTANT' in its Subject header
> | and was sent in the year `YYYY' and month `MMM', will get expired to
> | the group `nnfolder:IMPORTANT.YYYY.MMM'.  If its From or To header
> | contains the string `boss', it will get expired to `nnfolder:Work'.
> `----
>
> I never tried it, but fancy expiring may be worth investigating...

Absolutely - and this looks exactly like what I would need. I would then
have to change my habit of Expiring=deleting (moving to [Gmail]\Bin
folder) to Expiring=Archiving - which makes much more sense anyway as E
is pressed easily. Deleting I could then with B m

Thanks a lot - I will investigate,

Rainer

> hth
> Memnon