Re: read messages becoming unread in nnml

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: read messages becoming unread in nnml
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 00:48:47 +0200

>> Do you quit Gnus before stopping Emacs?

> No, I always assumed Emacs would tell Gnus to save and terminate.

It doesn't.

> Man, come to think of it, I don't even stop Emacs, I run a shell
> command from Emacs (shutdown) to shut down the whole system. Perhaps
> that's why!

It most probably will cause you problems from time to time, yes.

I think we can rule out that your problems and Julien's problems have
the same cause.

>>> I would think it best for the .newsrc.eld be saved every time there
>>> is a change

>> (If you want to maximize disk-I/O :-))

> Yeah, but that's cool, I don't do that many things with that many
> posts anyway. And computers including the lowest-level hardware are
> quick these days.

So why did you turn off the dribble-file, which conceptually does what
you are saying you want?

>> You have explicitly turned off Gnus' defence against crashes and
>> unforseen events!

> I know, we discussed this already. My Debian is like a Swiss watch

Yeah, but you are pulling the rug out under Gnus, like, every time you
turn your computer off.

So, the unforseen event in this case is located around 40 cm's from the
screen. Or some meters from the projection on your wall.

In summary:

 a) Always quit Gnus before closing down Emacs

 b) Don't turn off the dribble-file, unless you have a really, really
    good reason (i.e. don't)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I'm so indie my shirt don't fit"                            Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk