Re: Make `r` and `F` behave as `S L` when replying to a message from a m

From: Denis Bitouzé
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 19:53:45 +0100

Le 07/11/14 à 10h09, Damien Wyart <damien.wyart@free.fr> a écrit :

> * Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze@wanadoo.fr> in gnu.emacs.gnus:
>> What do you mean by "Gnus" groups? Newsgroups, as provided by gmane
>> for instance?
>
> No, the notion of group in Gnus also applies to email messages. It is
> just a container of messages, either stored locally or accessed through
> IMAP for mails, or read via NNTP for News (the Agent also plays a role
> by caching locally, but let's keep things simple :).

Okay. That's a feature I like very much, and that I'd like to apply
also for current actions, e.g. to have a single keybinding for replying,
be it to a email or to news articles.

> If you use Gnus to read email, you use mail groups, even if you do not
> know it :).

With that definition of groups, I already knew that :)

> See for example:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Splitting-Mail.html
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Choosing-a-Mail-Back-End.html
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Using-IMAP.html
>
>> > I think the simplest solution is to play with the corresponding group
>> > parameter to-address (and broken-reply-to if needed). See:
>> > https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Group-Parameters.html
>
>> Unfortunately, some of the lists I'm subscribed to don't have any
>> newsgroup counterpart.
>
> How do you read them?

In my main INBOX group (gmail IMPA).

> If each list doesn't have its own group, you might need to configure
> splitting. Having a group per list is very convenient.

I guess so. I'll have a look at splitting mail.

>> A further check of the list's headers puzzled me: `Reply-To:` is the
>> list address, not the sender's one. Why Gnus doesn't take it into
>> account when I reply with `r` or `F`?
>
> r is explicitely to reply to the author.

Sigh... But, on the gnus refcard, I can see:

  ┌────
  │ S r (r) Mail a reply to the author of this article.
  │ [...]
  │ S B r Like S r but ignore the Reply-To: header.
  └────

so `r` shouldn't ignore the Reply-To: header.