Re: rendering HTML: how to disable

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: rendering HTML: how to disable
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 11:57:23 +0200

Bernardo writes:

> i still have an HTML formatted email which when opened makes
> connections on the web;

If you are using 'shr' to show HTML (the (new(ish)) default, check the
variable mm-text-html-renderer), this variable should govern in which
groups images are fetched automatically:

,----[ C-h v gnus-blocked-images RET ]
| gnus-blocked-images is a variable defined in `gnus-art.el'.
| Its value is gnus-block-private-groups
|
| Documentation:
| Images that have URLs matching this regexp will be blocked.
| This can also be a function to be evaluated.  If so, it will be
| called with the group name as the parameter, and should return a
| regexp.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 24.1 of Emacs.
`----

The default 'gnus-block-private-groups is to not fetch images in
"private groups" (i.e. only in "regular" newsgroups).

So maybe you are using something else - like w3m? In that case you might
want check what mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp is set to.

[...]

> mm-discouraged-alternatives is a variable defined in `mm-decode.el'.
> Its value is ("text/html" "text/richtext" "image/.*")
> Original value was nil

I guess this doesn't help much if the only type the email contains is
"text/html" - 'discouraged' means "not preferred", rather than "not
chosen for display at all", I think.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Facebook cannot control emotions of users. Facebook         Adam Sjøgren
  will not control emotions of users." - Facebook's COO  asjo@koldfront.dk