Re: Gnus seems to not understand video/* syntax in mailcap files.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Gnus seems to not understand video/* syntax in mailcap files.
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 15:26:00 +1100

Ben <ben.lists@bsb.me.uk> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Ben Bacarisse <ben.lists@bsb.me.uk> writes:
>>
>>> My system is currently set up so that gnus happens to use mplayer to
>>> open video mime parts but I'd like it, and other mailcap aware programs,
>>> to use something else.  So I put the line
>>>
>>> video/*; totem %s
>>>
>>> into ~/.mailscap.  Checking with run-mailcap shows it to be working as
>>> expected, but gnus continues to use mplayer.
>>
>> I can't find the string "mplayer" anywhere in the Gnus sources, so do
>> you know where that setting is coming from?
>
> It's in /etc/mailcap -- where system-wide settings are placed.  Gnus
> reads /etc/mailcap and ~/.mailcap to determine what to do with mime
> parts.

~/.mailcap should certainly win over /etc/mailcap, but more specific
settings should also win over less general settings.  My guess is that
/etc/mailcap has something like

video/mpeg; mplayer %s; description="MPEG Video"

which makes it more specific than the video/* in your ~/.mailcap.

But I still think that your ~/.mailcap should have won.  Please report
this as a bug with `M-x report-emacs-bug'.