Gnus seems to not understand video/* syntax in mailcap files.

From: Ben Bacarisse
Subject: Gnus seems to not understand video/* syntax in mailcap files.
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 20:55:20 +0000

My system is currently set up so that gnus happens to use mplayer to
open video mime parts but I'd like it, and other mailcap aware programs,
to use something else.  So I put the line

video/*; totem %s

into ~/.mailscap.  Checking with run-mailcap shows it to be working as
expected, but gnus continues to use mplayer.  However, if I put

video/quicktime; totem %s

in there instead, all is well for that one type -- gnus uses totem for
quicktime files (but, of course, mplayer for every other video type).

The same happens if the line is in the /etc/mailcap "user section":
video/* does not work but video/quicktime does.

Is this as per design, or is it a bug?

--
Ben.