Re: Citation processing in HTML articles?

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: Re: Citation processing in HTML articles?
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 15:41:14 -0700

on Tue May 17 2016, Emanuel Berg <embe8573-AT-student.uu.se> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>>> Creative! :) The power of colors should
>>> never be underestimated. (And I'm not
>>> talking pink panties here.) But, in this
>>> case there is a better way: (setq
>>> gnus-treat-hide-citation t)
>>
>> ? That's what I do already
>
> ...? OK, so what is the problem, then?
> The buttons (three chars each) too big?

No, I just don't want to have to go through the process of hunting for
the right combination of mime buttons and article washing necessary to
make an article readable.  There are lots of reasons not to use a more
“traditional” mail client than Gnus, but at least they tend to make more
of the messages quite readable without user intervention.

And I don't show the MIME buttons by default, FWIW.

>> This is for “messages that only format well
>> when rendered as HTML.” Unfortunately, I have
>> to deal with many of those.
>
> Well, good technology can make bad technology
> less bad, but only to a certain point, and it
> is not pleasant work, as in the back of your
> mind you know this would be a non-issue if only
> good technology was used to begin with! (I know
> this isn't helping you, but it is the truth.)

I'm not judgemental about which technologies are good, at least not in
this domain.  People sometimes use HTML to express things that doen't
translate well to plain text.  And as you say, it doesn't help at all to
wish people used different technology.  I have to live in the real
world.  I can write a citation-coloring-and-hiding postprocessor for
Gnus myself if I have to but I was hoping someone already solved this
problem.

--
-Dave