info-mtools

Re: [mtools] mtools.spec

From: Peter Fokker
Subject: Re: [mtools] mtools.spec
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:20:40 +0200 (CEST)

"Moritz Barsnick" wrote:

> > -strip %{_bindir}/mtools %{_bindir}/mkmanifest %{_bindir}/floppyd
> > +strip %{buildroot}%{_bindir}/mtools %{buildroot}%{_bindir}/mkmanifest
> > %{buildroot}%{_bindir}/floppyd
>
> In "modern distributions" (I know for sure about RedHat/Fedora, I also
> think in MandrakeLinux), stripping is done by rpmbuild, and is not
> recommended manually. [...]

It was there in the original .spec-file and the problem I saw was that
strip complained about not finding %{_bindir}/mtools. That would be hard
to spot for someone who would likely have installed (a previous version
of) mtools already in that %{_bindir}, say an mtools-developer. I created
this .RPM on a 'clean machine' without a trace of mtools, so that's when
I noticed it. BTW: I created an RPM for OpenNA Linux (www.openna.com).

> > +%clean
> > +rm -r %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-buildroot
>
> a) "rm -rf" is the more common approach.

OK, OK. ;-)

> b) I think you mean "rm -rf %{buildroot}". (Some packagers also tend to
>    check whether %{buildroot} == '/', but you shouldn't be running
>    rpmbuild as root anyway. ;->)

Mmmm, my experience is that it is pretty difficult to do anything
useful with rpmbuild when you're NOT root. But I'm not an expert in
RPM...

And regarding "%{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-buildroot" being the
same as "%{buildroot}", well... If, for some very weird reason
"%{buildroot}" would equate to an empty string (or "/", even worse!),
you have more problems than when the other variables/macros
(%{_tmppath}, %{name} and %{version})  would be empty because
the path would then still be "/--buildroot" which is
not so dangerous in combination with rm -rf. But I agree, I
think it should read `rm -rf %{buildroot}'.

Thank you for your comments.

Kind regards,

--Peter Fokker

--
The continued spread of a cleverly engineered computer virus exposes a
key flaw in the global embrace of technology: Its users are human.

                   --Anick Jesdanun, AP Internet Writer, 27 January 2004