ipfc-developer

Re: [Ipfc-developer] lib

From: Tycho Fruru
Subject: Re: [Ipfc-developer] lib
Date: 24 Mar 2003 15:08:24 +0100

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 14:42, Glauber Reis wrote:
> I have not downloaded IPFC from CVS yet (the firewall
> admin does not pay attention to my demand), anyway I
> am very impressed with it. At the same time i'd like
> to ask some questions as to the lib implementation of
> IPFC.
>
> >From what I could see (and it is not much up til now)
> the library behind IPFC is hardly linked to Perl. Isnt
> it?

Well, IPFC is really a series of protocols.  There is an implementation
of IPFC which is done in Perl (but other implementations are of course
totally possible).

On the "agent" side (eg. the stuff you install on your different
machines who need to send logs to IPFC) perl is available on a number of
different platforms (win32, most unices, some mainframe stuff) but this
would indeed be the first place to look to change the implementation
language.

> Does the develop team have any projects of
> implementing IPFC based upon a C library and then wrap
> it in a Perl module or use it from another language or
> C itself ( many dont like Perl. For example, a monitor
> for a W32 could be demanded but people would rather
> use Delphi. What about a small footprint appliance?)

There is an appliance (which is called LogCollector) that's packaged
(and sold) by us (Conostix).

> Is there any plan of make IPFC much more flexible?

Ah, but IPFC is already so flexible that most people don't see very
clearly just what it can already do :-)

> What would be the major changes for the next
> milestone?

A non-exhaustive list of things we're working on right now :

- More efficient and accessible database format (so you can poke the
data using something else than the perl API that's included right now)

- More intelligent backup support (full dumps of TB databases are no fun
:-)

- Better compartimentalisation of tables in tablespaces (becomes
important when you've got TBs of data to rotate)

- Ability to "re-parse" events (which is cool when you've updated a
parser and want to treat all those old, not-yet-recognised events)

- Updates to buglets in the web user interface (mostly due to
trigger-happy entity-encoding in the standard Perl libraries...)

Cheers,
Tycho