japitools-list

[Japi] Re: File Format in New JAPI.

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: [Japi] Re: File Format in New JAPI.
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:52:46 -0500

(I'm cc'ing this to the japitools mailing list so it's in the archives
for people searching later, hope that's ok)

On 11/16/06, Saeid Modares-Sabzevari <address@hidden> wrote:

I have looked around for a detailed change log or revision history of JAPI,
but was unable to find one. My concern is mainly in regards to file format
of *.japio and .txt format of japio file. Are there any changes or additions
in the new version 0.9.7 ?

Saeid,

Thanks for using Japitools. I'm sorry that the revision history isn't
terribly well documented.

The format of the japi files is well documented for the new release
(design/japi-spec-0.9.7.txt) but the japio format not so much. There
is a japio-spec.txt as well but I don't remember whether it's up to
date with the latest changes or how thorough it was in the first
place.

I'm not sure, but I don't *think* the format of the japio file has
changed since the last release. You could look at the CVS revision
history for japiotext and japiohtml to see if there have been any
changes in that time frame - since they parse japio files, any changes
would be reflected there.

If you have specific questions about the details of the format I can
try to help you figure them out. I wrote it, but it's been a long time
since I actually touched the internals of those files!

The text output format (japicompat -t) is intended to be
human-readable rather than machine readable. It should be fairly easy
to parse if you want to, but I don't anticipate ever writing a spec
for it, and it may change in future if I can find ways to present
information more usefully to human readers.

Hope this is of some help to you. Sorry I don't have more useful answers...

Stuart.
--
http://sab39.netreach.com/