japitools-list

[Japi] Re: [heads up] the importance of 'reversed' API completion

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: [Japi] Re: [heads up] the importance of 'reversed' API completion
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 07:25:59 -0500

Tim Ellison wrote:
Look like there are things in there to investigate, but I agree that
there appears to be too many packages flagged.

Stefano can you run it with the actual SE API packages?

The correct way to invoke Japize for an API is to grab the javadoc and run:
japiextractpkgs docs/api/overview-frame.htm >jdk15.pkgs
japize as jdk15 packages jre/lib/*.jar @jdk15.pkgs

(I may have gotten the filenames slightly wrong - that's from memory -
but it's more or less that).

Also the "-p" flag should be passed to japicompat in this case which
skips entire packages that are missing; adding extra packages is
generally permissible, it's adding extra classes inside existing
packages that isn't. At least that's the view Japitools takes.

That way you're guaranteed to get exactly the packages that are
documented as part of the standard API, which is what you want.

For a comparison done the "right" way see
http://www.kaffe.org/~stuart/japi/htmlout/h-harmony-jdk15

Hope this helps,
Stuart.
--