kmldonkey-users

Re: [kmldonkey] Suggest concerning KDE-integration of MLDonkey

From: Petter E. Stokke
Subject: Re: [kmldonkey] Suggest concerning KDE-integration of MLDonkey
Date: 27 Mar 2003 23:15:06 +0100

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 23:03, Daniel Arnold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I used KGet and compared it to the funktionality of KMLDonkey I realised
> that both are doing a similar job from the users point of view.
>
> If I download a file via normal HTTP oder FTP KGet manages directly the
> download for me and I can manipulate the download list to my needs, like
> stopping, queing etc...
>
> KMLDonkey provides much the same for ed2k links if I chose a link from
> ShareReactor or somewhere else. And I think searching for files within KGet
> would also be quite intuitive (for example you could use an Archie search
> engine backend for the FTP-Protokoll) so this funtionality of P2P can also be
> integrated seemless.
>
> The only difference for the user is that there are two different protokolls
> (or better backends, since MLDonkey connects to just more than Edonkey2000
> network) for downloading.
>
> So what do you think of joinig forces with the KGet people and create a KGet
> that can load different kinds of plugins like a normal http/ftp download
> plugin a MLDonkey-plugin...
>
> I think that would be a quite cool integration of MLDonkey into KDE.

I'm not sure that's very feasible - MLDonkey just doesn't lend itself
easily to that kind of thing, and even if one were to implement an ed2k
protocol plugin for KGet (which I haven't heard of lately, do you by any
chance mean Caitoo?) it wouldn't be very convenient; with protocols like
FTP and HTTP, you expect downloads to be relatively temporary, whereas a
donkey download could easily take months to complete (or might never
complete). In my mind, it would make a lot of sense to keep these two
distinct concepts in separate applications.

On the other hand, it would be very cool, and would make a lot of sense,
to have a download manager that supports BitTorrent alongside HTTP/FTP.
I'm just not going to be the one to do it. :)

--
Petter E. Stokke <address@hidden> http://www.gibreel.net/
#!/usr/bin/env python