koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Koha and testing

From: dbkliv
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Koha and testing
Date: Tue Jan 7 20:49:06 2003

address@hidden wrote:

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 12:44:11PM -0500, Nathan Gray wrote:

I would prefer to use Test::Debugger over Test::More.  I like the
interface of Test.pm, though it doesn't handle all the scenarios I
need.  I wrote a new version of Test.pm, but Test::More beat me to
CPAN.

I've use Test::More quite a bit, and have really come to like it. It
also comes standard in Perl 5.8 now. I could adapt to another
framework though, as long as it works :)

I'd just as soon we stuck to a standard part of the Perl distro.  The
fewer bits people need tograb to make Koha work the better (although
this is easier now that Mike's built the bundle for us.)

I agree with you in spirit. However, what version of Perl are you
expecting users to have installed? Some Koha code has 'use warnings'
pounded out in favor of -w on the #! line, with a comment that
warnings.pm is not available in Perls lower than 5.6.0. Other Koha code
has 'require 5.6.1' in it. Quite contradictory.

Now we're talking about using a module that's standard as of Perl 5.8.
That means non-standard with Perl 5.6, non-standard with Perl 5.0.

So - what's the minimum version of Perl that people should be coding
for? Should Koha be backwards compatible to Perl 5.0?

dbkliv