koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Perl-based gettext-like modules (was: Re: translation c

From: Owen Leonard
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Perl-based gettext-like modules (was: Re: translation complaint...)
Date: Thu Jan 30 08:11:09 2003

> > Unless I'm not understanding something, this would mean that a single
> > koha installation could not be multilingual.  This seems like the wrong
> > direction IMO.
>
> If that is the case it seems like a bad idea :-(

Another thing to consider is that it makes it more difficult to customize a
template.  It's easy enough to figure out what's going on with the markup if
the text is there in the page, but it's different when everything is '<TMPL_VAR
NAME="STRING_LoggedInAs">'.

It also means that if you go in to make changes to your template, you've got a
dilemma between simply entering the text as is, or going to the master language
file, defining a new text variable, and inserting that variable delclaration
into the page.  It's not a problem if the template is on a one-way trip to your
site, but if you want to later share it with others  you have to be careful of
all those changes.

All that is not to say I don't think the idea has merits... I just think it
needs to be thought out.

    -- Owen