koha-devel

RE: [Koha-devel] change management

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: RE: [Koha-devel] change management
Date: Wed Feb 12 04:02:01 2003

If you want an example of a project that is successfully using HSM, look at
the linux kernel. That uses BitKeeper as its change-management software.
Note that Linus hates CVS with a vengeance (or at least, if he doesn't hate
it, he's very vocal about it being useless). CVS is far more oriented to a
CRM approach.

With BitKeeper, Linus controls the 2.5 master tree, Alan Cox is currently
looking after a tree that's trying to fix IDE problems, Andrea and
(forgotten his name) are looking after the VM, etc etc. And as Linus looks
to deal with each area in turn, he looks at his lieutenant's tree and pulls
the relevant fixes across into mainline.

So if there are clear lines of responsibility, with different people
responsible for different bits of Koha, it's probable that HSM and BitKeeper
will turn out to be the easiest way to manage things.

Cheers,
Wol