koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] MySQL specific queries

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] MySQL specific queries
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:04:45 +0200

Pierrick LE GALL a écrit :
Hi koha-devel,

Working in admin/stopwords.pl, I've found an SQL query I didn't know :
"REPLACE stopwords (word) values (?)". I've searched in my MySQL
cookbook and found what was the purpose of this statement (it's great
by the way, too bad I didn't know it, it would have saved me many code
lines).

What the cookbook also told me is that "INSERT IGNORE" and "REPLACE"
are MySQL specific statement. Maybe we already use "SELECT ... LIMIT
X,Y" but this one is much more difficult to /translate/ into standard
SQL. What is the official coding guideline concerning SQL queries? Can
we use such specific statements?

You're right we should not. I'm the main responsible of this error, I beg your pardon !
That's the main reason why we say we are mySQL compliant only for instance.
Hopefully, "replace" should be only found in /admin/ directory.
They was the 1st scripts I did for Koha & in Perl, when starting to be involved in Koha, in 2002,january. I agree they are really poor (Perl as well as mySQL. But they work correctly...)

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants