koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] interest in improving automated tests with a testing da

From: Andrew Moore
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] interest in improving automated tests with a testing database
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 07:51:17 -0500

Hi Henri

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 4:34 AM, Henri-Damien LAURENT
<address@hidden> wrote:
>  Hi Andy,
>  welcome on board.
>  I am surely intereseted in any system that would improve and automate
>  testing.
>  But that said, bugs can come from many problems :
>  a) C4 modules functions (this can be automated via your work)
>
>  a') misconfiguration (How to ensure configuration is appropriate ?
>  Checking out framework settings and systempreferences ?)

I'm not sure how we can address this either. I'm interested in hearing
suggestions, though.

>  b) The use of those functions via intranet or OPAC (would require
>  Selenium testing)

I agree this is something that would be useful. I have used selenium
in the past and am interested in using it or something similar on koha
eventually. I agree that there's a lot of code and logic outside of
the C4 libraries that we could benefit from testing.

>  c) translations (since some js can be broken in js. Again, selenium
>  testing, but on a wider scale)

Yes, this multiplies the number of things we could benefit from
testing tremendously.

>  And we have MARC-21 and UNIMARC to test.
>  So not only one testbase, but two.

I have thought about this a bit, but only superficially. I may handle
this by having the test code use the same configuration that you use
in production (except for necessary changes like database access).
That way, when you run the test suite, it tests the code with the
configuration that you intend to use. There will be some corner cases
that are difficult to hit this way, and I hope we can solve those
eventually.

>  But I am really interested.

great!

>  Will you commit your work ?

absolutely! Look for a beta version soon.

Thanks for your help,
-Andy