koha-translate

[Koha-translate] Koha 3.0 Staff Client Ready for Translation

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: [Koha-translate] Koha 3.0 Staff Client Ready for Translation
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:48:04 -0500

Hi all,

Just a quick announcement for those of you interested in translating Koha
3.0 into your respective languages, the Staff Client POT file is ready for
download and translation. I've created a generic POT that can be used,
simply re-name the file to match your locale using RFC4646 conventions.
Here's the link:

http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=tree;f=misc/translator/po;hb=HEAD

(note that there is already a French translation written) The generic
PO is called 'xx-XX-i-staff-prog-v-30000.pot'.  You'll want to rename that
file to match the language-script-region that you're translating.

Starting with Koha 3.0, I'd like to propose a new naming convention for the
PO/POT files in Koha that follows RFC4646 (have a look at
http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/ for an intro). We
can utilize RFC4646's concept of 'extensions' to tag for the 'theme' (t)
and 'interface' (i) and 'version' (v). For example, if you're creating a
French translation in France, the filename would be:

fr-FR-i-staff-t-prog-v-30000.po

Note that FR is a 'region' subtag ... but in some languages, such as
Chinese, it's also useful to be able to distinguish between 'script's,
such as 'Hans' (Simplified Han) or 'Hant' (Traditional Han). So you might,
if you are translating Koha into Chinese, end up with a filename like:

zh-Hans-i-staff-t-prog-v-30000.po

RFC4646 gives us a lot of flexibility in how we distinguish between various
translations.

There are two excellent programs for doing your translation, depending
on which platform you're running:

LocFactory Editor (for OSX)
POEdit (for Windows)

Of course, you're free to simply use a text editor if that suites you, but
please make sure you're in UTF-8 mode.

Once you've got your PO file into a state where you're happy with it,
you have a number of choies:

1. you can email it to the koha-translate list
2. you can email it to me
3. you can add it to Git yourself

In the coming weeks I'll be updating translate.koha.org in preparation
for the 3.0 cycle of releases, and improving the documentation on how
to internationalize your Koha system, but if you prefer to work with local
PO files, I wanted to make sure you had that opportunity.

Cheers,

address@hidden |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS