Re: configuration

From: Ali SHEIKH
Subject: Re: configuration
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 12:09:40 -0500

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 05:59:54PM +0900, OKUJI Yoshinori wrote:
> [...]
>   Well, I assume that you already know. As for the GNU system, it is
> currently i386-pc-gnu (because Hurd runs only on i386 for
> now). Obviously, this is problematic for us. It doesn't include the
> microkernel name! How will you solve this? You may think this is
> immaterial, but this is NEVER trivial. This kind of configuration is
> widely used in GNU. You must realize that you don't have any way to
> specify what microkernel you want to use when compiling glibc or any
> other software packages.

I am not an expert, but I think that Farid's virtual kernel idea might
be a way out. If we can come up with a a libvk that is generic enough
to encapsulate all microkernel interfaces, then we can just go ahead
and call our system *-*-gnu, without worrying about what ukernel it is.

Ali
--
To err is human, to moo bovine.