Re: configuration

From: OKUJI Yoshinori
Subject: Re: configuration
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 16:52:35 +0900

From: address@hidden (Niels Möller)
Date: 06 Nov 2000 17:01:01 +0100

> I think the (u)kernel being used is a quite important piece of the
> system identifier, so it ought to be included.

  But, as you know, it is hard to include a microkernel name in a host
type, without breaking anything. If the (current) Hurd had used
"i386-pc-mach-gnu", things could have been much easier...

  So what I'm now thinking is to put predefinitions for a microkernel
in a header file, rather than a configuration file (such as
"specs"). However, this has deficiency that programs cannot determine
on which microkernel Hurd runs, if the user hasn't installed header
files, and that it is slightly difficult for scripting languages to
handle the difference among microkernels. Thus, your proposal may be
more practical.

> Perhaps one ought to ask the autoconf people and rms what they think.

  Really. Can you do that?

Okuji