Re: Did I hear you folks might be interested in POSIX threads?

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: Did I hear you folks might be interested in POSIX threads?
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:41:14 +0100 (CET)

[...snip...]
> I don't think this has much to do with the actual pthread implementation
> used, except that, because glibc in the Hurd uses threading itself, pthreads
> for the Hurd should be integrated closely with glibc, and that we need one
> or two features in the threading package that goes beyond POSIX threads
> (condition implies, I think, from hearsay).  For you it means, if we are
> going to use NGPT, we want it to be included in glibc and we want it to
> support the extra feature(s) we need (I think it is really only one, but I
> never checked).
>From a portability point of view, _any_ pthreads implementation in glibc
would need to provide a clear interface to the underlying native kernel
threads. We will have to wait and see what the upcoming L4 Version 4 API
(X.2) will provide in terms of threads API. Once we know, we'll be able
to evaluate misc. threading libraries, including NGPT. Right now, its
only vaporware, as far as l4-hurd is concerned ;-)

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden