Re: Did I hear you folks might be interested in POSIX threads?

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: Did I hear you folks might be interested in POSIX threads?
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:25:26 +0100 (CET)

> I see that the goals from this page
> (http://oss.software.ibm.com/pthreads/) also include an M:N mapping of
> sorts. This would potentially be very useful in the L4 port of the Hurd
> which I am quietly working on as well.
The problem with an N:M mapping in the L4 context is this: Only a native
L4 thread can reliably ipc_receive a message. As long as a 1:1 mapping is
used, this won't be a problem. When you move to a N:M mapping, things can
get hairy. I hope that the NGPT people have thought about such issues
before crafting a N:M mapping (unless they didn't plan to use NGPT outside
a Linux environment).

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden