Re: VMM

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: Re: VMM
Date: 15 Oct 2002 09:23:34 -0400

> What are the alternatives to most recently used, if one is looking for
> a default "one-size-fits-all" algorithm?

That is my point: there is no "one-size-fits-all" algorithm which is
why we need this type of infrastructure.

> I guess libc would have to
> implement most recently used for proceses that don't provide any more
> information or hints to the momory manager.

Well, it knows the difference between malloc and mmap.  It knows when
files are opened and how.  It has access to a lot more local state
than a monolithic VMM in the kernel does.

> And the physical memory
> server has to export the needed information.

Which functionality?