Re: Hurd IPC

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Hurd IPC
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:46:34 +0200

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 10:45:45AM -0400, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> On L4, a handle will be unique to a server which means that the client
> must store both the server's communication thread id and the handle
> id.  On Mach, a handle would be task local--it is just a normal port
> managed by Mach.

On L4, shouldn't the client compute a locally unique id for a given server
handle id? On the client side, this would imply translation of the local id
into the server's handle id. Doing so, the client code would still just see an
integer, the same as what we have when using ports or file descriptors.

Thanks,
Ludovic.