Re: thread ids, task ids and subsystems

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: thread ids, task ids and subsystems
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:30:48 +0200

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 06:41:05PM +0200, Niels Möller wrote:
> For a start, memory and cpu usage should be included in the counts for
> the process that the task "belongs to".

That's probably harder to do (and more cpu intensive) than just listing each
task individually.

In any way, I don't think that the task interface itself should be concerned
with registered (as processes) and unregistered tasks - so it couldn't do
the collocation, that would be a job for proc, or rather: ps.  proc should
list them individually.

> Hmm, perhaps the simplest way of sorting it out is to have a
> list_tasks call in task (I'm assuming anybody is allowed to list
> tasks), but make the calls to kill a task or create a "debug port" to
> it privileged in task, with corresponding calls in proc that do the
> access control thing and then passes messages on to the task server.

This depends on how task is actually defined, for example if real Hurd
objects are used (the analogy to ports), or not.

address@hidden
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/